Copyright © Portsmouth and Gosport NARPO 2017. All Rights Reserved.

Portsmouth and South East Hampshire Branch

View our Privacy Policy

Home Home Obituaries

Norman Victor LOWRY

Former Detective Sergeant Norman Victor Lowry (94 years) passed away on 7th October, 2020.  Norman had Welsh heritage and served in the Glamorgan Police from the early fifties until he transferred to the Portsmouth City Police in 1959 and after amalgamation, the Hampshire Constabulary. He served at Fratton and Kingston Police Stations and then appointed to CID, subsequently becoming a Detective Sergeant.  He spent his last six years as 'Coroners' Officer' in Portsmouth before retiring in the late 70's. He always enjoyed singing and was a member of the Police Choir for many years.    

Norman was widowed in 2015. He had suffered poor health, with renal failure in particular and this was the main cause of death. The informant was his daughter Gillian Wilkinson.

Jeffrey BOOTH

Former PC Jeffrey Booth (88 years) passed away on 26th September 2020. Jeff joined the Hampshire Constabulary in the mid 1950's following service in the Royal Navy.  He initially served at Gosport and was for a time the 'Beat Officer' for Lee-on-the-Solent.  He later served at Leigh Park and then at Havant and Portsmouth in the Traffic Department.  Upon retirement in the 1980's he remained within the constabulary as a civilian driver.

Jeff was a widower and living alone in his home in Havant and despite suffering from multiple cancers had remained independent and self sufficient. The informant was his son Alan.

James Edward SMITH

Associate member James Edward Smith (72 years) passed away on 2nd September 2020.  James had been a Metropolitan Police Officer and served at Stoke Newington and then subsequently at Chelsea on CID .  He was medically retired in 1974 and the family relocated to Hampshire.

In 2016 James had a fall in his garden which resulted in a spinal fracture and since that time he had been in a nursing home in Gosport paralysed from the neck down.  He contracted pneumonia which contributed to his passing. He leaves a widow Christine.

David John BIGGS

David BIGGS passed away on 4th October 2020. David had been suffering with Cancer and C.O.P.D.

David joined Portsmouth City Police on 25th January 1965 and after amalgamation with the Hampshire Constabulary. He served at Portsmouth Central and Kingston Crescent as well as the Traffic  Department and  Process Unit. He retired after completing 32 years service in 1997. He leaves a widow Annette.

Adrian ('ACE') Edward MAPPLEBECK

Former Detective Constable 1204 Adrian MAPPLEBECK (79 years) passed away in Spain on 9th August 2020.

Adrian or'Ace" as he was affectionally known throughout his career, joined Portsmouth City Police as a Cadet circa 1958 and during this time undertook overseas service in Cyprus and was awarded the Cyprus Medal.

'Ace' was appointed as a Constable in the Portsmouth City Police on 26th September 1960. He was initially posted to Southsea and subsequently appointed to CID. He also served as a Detective Constable at Portsmouth Central and Fratton. He retired after 35 years service and spent much of that time in Spain. He leaves a widow Ann.

Kenneth William TAYLOR

Former PC 256 Kenneth William Ernest TAYLOR  (89 years) passed away on 26th April 2020 at the Oaklands Care Home, Waterlooville where he had been since 2016 suffering from dementia.

Ken joined the Portsmouth City Police on 21st January 1956 and re-tired in 1986 having served at Southsea, Eastney and Kingston Cres-cent. He leaves a widow, Jill.

Kenneth William John WHITE

Former Detective Superintendent  Kenneth William John WHITE  (aged 94 years) passed away on 21st May 2020 at Petersfield Cot-tage Hospital.

Ken served his country in RAF Bomber Command during the war, joining the then Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary in 1949. He served at Christchurch, Fareham, Havant, Winchester, Gosport and Aldershot. (During this period he was seconded as a Detec-tive Inspector. to C9 N.S.Y. Crime Squad.) He was promoted to Detec-tive Superintendent in 1969 and retired as the Deputy Head of CID at Police Headquarters in December 1974 having served for 25 years.

After retirement Ken worked for the Ministry of Defence for 12 years as a Senior Investigative Officer.


Former Deputy Chief Constable Ian Readhead OBE QPM LLB PLSGC passed away on 17th June 2020 (aged 65 years) after a long battle with cancer. Ian joined the Hampshire Constabulary as a Cadet in September 1971. On joining the regular service he then rose through the ranks serving at many stations including Winchester, Lyndhurst, Portsmouth Central, Fleet, Southampton Central, Bitterne, Western DHQ Hulse Rd. and finally at Police HQ, retiring as DCC in September 2008 after completing 37 years service.

On retirement Ian took up a position as the Director of Information at the Association of Chief Police Officers before becoming the Chief Executive at ACRO until 2017. Ian was awarded the OBE in recogni-tion of his remarkable contribution to the Police Service. He leaves a widow, Maggi.


Gerald (Gerry) DUFFY

Former Detective Constable Gerard (Gerry) Duffy passed away on Thursday 23rd July 2020.  Gerry joined the police service in Sunderland in 1969 and subsequently transferred to the Hamp-shire Constabulary in 1972.

Gerry was initially posted to Hayling Island and also served at Havant. He subsequently became a CID officer, and spent time on various specialist units including the Regional Crime Squad.  In the latter part of his service he was engaged in the Witness Protection Scheme before retiring in 2002. He leaves a widow, Iris.

Ivor Kenneth Ellcome

Former Chief Inspector Ivor Kenneth Ellcome passed away on 3rd February 2020 (aged 74) from a heart attack whilst on holiday with his wife in Kerala, India. His body was subsequently repatriated to the UK.

Ivor, known as Ken joined the Hampshire Constabulary mid sixties and served at Lyndhurst, Liss, Traffic Department both on the Isle of Wight and Portsea Island, Bitterne as Inspector and then on promotion in 1984 to Chief Inspector Traffic at Western Divisional HQ from where he retired in 1995. On retirement he took up a post with Portsmouth City Council as Parking Operations Manager. Ken became involved in local politics and was later elected to become the Lord Mayor of Portsmouth in 2017/18. He leaves a widow, Jo.

David Patrick DENNEHY

Former Detective Constable 540 David Patrick DENNEHY  passed away on 25th January 2020 (aged 78) after a short illness with cancer.

Dave joined the Hampshire Constabulary as a Police Cadet in 1960 starting at Petersfield and was appointed as a Constable to Lyndhurst. He also served at Hartley Wintney and Aldershot where he was appointed to CID. Dave served in the CID for the remainder of his service and worked at Aldershot, Basingstoke and finally at Headquarters retiring in May 1990. He leaves a widow, Wendy.


Former DC 1883 Stephen McLaughlin passed away in January 2020 after a protracted and debilitating illness.

Steve joined the Hampshire Constabulary in1970 and served at Shirley, Havant, Leigh Park, Cowplain, Bitterne, Eastleigh and latterly Winchester (where was an L.I.O.). In 1995 he suffered a brain tumour which resulted in major surgery, after which he became partially sighted and as a consequence he took a medical retirement. He has been widowed for some while and in recent years had serious medical issues.

Frederick Philip William GRADIDGE

Former Chief Superintendent Fred Gradidge passed away on 4th December 2019 (aged 90) after suffering poor health in recent years.

Fred joined the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary (PC 269) on 17th November 1949. He initially served at Hythe before being appointed to CID. He later served at Lyndhurst, Christchurch as Sergeant, Inspector Basingstoke Traffic & PHQ, then Chief Insp. Aldershot. He was promoted to Supt. Traffic in 1967 and then Chief Superintendent Traffic in 1977 before finally moving to Mid Hants Divisional HQ Fareham from where he retired in 1984 after 35 years service.

On retirement Fred took up a position with the MOD at Portsmouth Naval Base. He leaves a partner, Hazel.


Former Superintendent Bryan SCARTH passed away on 9th January 2020 (aged 87) at Queen Alexandra Hospital.

Bryan joined Portsmouth City Police on 23rd September 1957 having previously served 9 years with the Royal Navy. He was initially posted to Portsmouth Central and then on promotion to Sergeant was involved with Training. He became an Inspector at Cosham and subsequently Chief Inspector at Havant. Bryan returned to his original station Portsmouth Central on promotion to Superintendent from where he retired.

Bryan who was affectionally known as "Yorkie" was a member of the Hampshire Constabulary Choir for over 50 years. He leaves a widow, Molly.


Former PC Peter Southey passed away on 10th November 2019 after a long battle with cancer.

Peter joined Portsmouth City Police on 25th October, 1952. After his early service he was posted to the Traffic Department at Divisional HQ Queens Crescent where he remained until his retirement in 1977. He leaves a widow Stephanie.

Albert Eric SHORT

Albert Short, generally known by his middle name 'Eric' passed away on 17th October 2019 (aged 91 years).

After service in the Army, Eric joined the Hampshire Constabulary on 1st June 1951 as PC 233. During his police service he was based among others at Yately, Hartley Witney, Basingstoke and Fareham. He retired as an Inspector after completing 30 years. Informant is his daughter, Ann Wilson.


Former Detective Constable Alan Male passed away on the 10th May 2019 at Queen Alexandra Hospital following a battle with lung cancer.

On joining the Hampshire Constabulary, Alan served at Farnborough, Cosham SIS, Lyndhurst, Southampton, Cowplain and at Ports Special Branch.  After a number of years in retirement, Alan returned to the Force in a civilian capacity and worked at A.C.R.O.  He was still employed there at the time of his passing. He leaves a widow Maureen.


Reginald TAPPIN

Former Superintendent  Reginald Tappin  passed away at the weekend. 13/14 April 2019 (aged 91).

Reginald initially joined the then Eastbourne Borough Police in 1949 and then transferred to Lincoln. He subsequently transferred again and joined the Portsmouth City Police on 18th November 1949. He was later promoted to Detective Inspector on returning to the Lincolnshire Constabulary before rejoining Portsmouth City as Detective Chief Inspector in August 1966. His final posting was as Superintendent on the IOW ending his 26 year Police service career.